Friday, March 27, 2009

Bread in a Flower Pot!

Country White Bread in a Flower Pot!
3 T. yeast
2 C. warm water (110* - 115*)
1/2 C. sugar
1 T. Sea Salt
1/4 C. powdered milk
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 C. vegetable oil
6-7 cups bread flour
~
~
Dissolve yeast in 2 cups warm water.
In a large mixing bowl, stir together sugar, salt, eggs and oil.
Add in yeast/water and 3 cups of the flour and powdered milk.
Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form soft dough.
(I added 1 cup White Whole Wheat as part of the flour.)
turn onto a floured board and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
~

~
Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise until double~about 1 hour.
(I preheat my oven to 200* and then turn off and let dough rise in there.)
Punch down dough. Divide in half and shape into loaves if using regular loaf pans (greased) or
fill well seasoned terra cotta pots 1/2 full.
NOTE: Use only unglazed terra cotta pots to avoid lead poisoning!
Also, regular pots need to be seasoned with oil in a warm oven.
I cut waxed paper to fit in my large pot just to make sure it wouldn't stick. (greased)
You can check the internet for directions for baking in terra cotta pots.
(My pots were made for baking in. But I got them so long ago, I can't remember where.)
Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, again about 1 hour.
~
~
Bake at 375* for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove from pans/pots to cool on wire rack.
~
~


Yum!
:~P

4 comments:

Sharon said...

What a cute idea!

Mrs. E said...

Oh my what a wonderful idea!! :)
Thank you for sharing!!!

Blessings,
Miss Jen

Mama B said...

I need to try your bread recipe; mine turns out so heavy.

Would you post your tip (or Uncle Gene's) on covering cheese? I think it's interesting. =)

American Homemaker said...

That's fun :)